Tuesday, September 9, 2008

jobsworth job hunting.

From other Blogs I've read looking for work on the internet is about as successful as pushing at a door that pulls.  Every morning I get up and I go to my computer and read helpful job descriptions that I just know I can do and send of the relevant CV and covering letter filled with all manner of lies, and then, I wait. And I wait, and I wait.  Nothing much seems to happen. I refresh my inbox, I check my mailbox, I look through other internet sites for jobs, I eat and I fret.
Life used to be so much easier 20 years ago the last time I was without work. You looked in the papers or you went to the job centre and got a phone number that you called and arranged an interview and then, if they liked you, you worked.  Today its all different.  Today you could run out of the will to live simply waiting for the first response to come back.  I saw an agency today who said, 'don't worry if  you don't hear anything for a couple of weeks.' A couple of weeks! I might have starved to death by then.  And the job centres, have you seen them? They're robotic now. People lead you to a machine that throws out pieces of paper at you. No friendly advice, no 'I'll call them for you and arrange an interview.' Its all gone mad.

No comments: